The Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Labor Management Standards (OLMS) has launched the Union Elections Advisor, an interactive web site “intended to describe certain rights of union members and candidates in union officer elections, and the responsibilities of union officers and others involved in conducting union officer elections” under the terms of the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA). Title IV of the LMRDA requires periodic election of union officers and prescribes minimum standards to ensure that such elections are fairly conducted.
As described in a DOL press release, after users of the site provide responses to questions regarding their union membership and the purpose of the election at issue, the Union Elections Advisor will:
- Determine whether the LMRDA covers the union officer election;
- Help union members and election officials understand their roles and responsibilities in conducting union officer elections;
- Summarize the requirements and procedures for planning and conducting union officer elections;
- Help candidates and union members understand their rights through the election process; and
- Outline the timetable and requirements for protesting an election.